Laundry tips are here!
At Wink, we’re all about helping you solve your biggest parenting problems and it seems like laundry just might be at the top of that list.
Call it a necessary evil, call it the bane of your existence, call it your extremely PG version of Netflix and chill, call it whatever you want…it’s gotta get done one way or another.
We polled our loyal squad of wise and seasoned llama mamas to get their best laundry tips and you guys sure delivered, further reinforcing my solid belief that moms are some of the smartest, most capable people on the planet.
Behold, 10 Laundry Tips guaranteed to change your life…or at the very least make it more efficient.
- Do a load every single day! This can look like tossing a load in as soon as you wake up and then switching it after breakfast, and folding/putting away before you get to bed OR doing a load before you go to bed and tossing it in the dryer when you wake up and folding/putting away as soon as it’s done.
- Do it ALL in one day. This might not be everyone’s jam, but hey, it works for some!
- One basket for each person, separate baskets for blankets and towels. When one basket gets full that’s what gets washed and move on down the line.
- Assign each family member their own basket and a specific day for laundry and have them do their own. If they don’t use their specific day to get it done, they’re out of luck! Great tip for moms with older kids who can benefit from self-sufficiency.
- Designate specific days for sheets and towels, wash sheets every other week: For example, towels on Tuesday and sheets every other Wednesday. The logic: if you’ve got designated days for this sort of thing, you’ll always have clean towels and bedding because what’s worse than running out of either of those? Not much.
- Use your washing machine as a laundry basket, run when full. So, have your family put their dirty laundry directly into the washing machine. Leave out whites and colors that bleed, run those separately.
- Run your dish rags and dish towels on hot with bleach and save your whites to run as the next load. Any residual bleach rinses out without any risk. No blotchy towels or spots on your colored clothes to worry about.
- Netflix or Audible: Listen to an audiobook or catch up on your favorite show while you fold so you can knock two birds out with one stone.
- If you fold it, PUT IT AWAY. Better yet, make your kids put it away. Whatever you do, don’t just let it sit in the laundry basket until someone comes looking for it.
- Stick to a schedule, no matter what method you choose. Consistency is the key!
I’m willing to bet your washer and dryer is probably the hardest working appliance in your entire house, don’t forget to clean out your lint trap and wipe out your seal (if you’ve got a front loader, to prevent mold and get rid of any treasures that might accumulate in there). Take care of any grimy buildup in your soap dispenser too. OH and make sure to pull your dryer out and use a shop vac to clean out your dryer vent and hose once a year to prevent dryer fires. That lint can build up fast!
Maybe you’ve already got your own system down already or have even more good ideas to add. If that’s the case we’d love to hear it about it!
Anything we missed?
Put a clean body into those clean clothes… have you tried our revolutionary foaming oil bath wash yet?