Setting up the nursery for your brand new babe is one of the most exciting/stressful parts in preparation of your little one. When I was preparing for my baby, I quit my full-time job a month early so that I could take some time to nest and rest.
The nursery was always a little stressful for me. I kept putting it off because I was doing so much research trying to find the BEST products. Now that my baby is almost 9 months old, I can confidently tell you the 10 must-haves in his nursery that I can’t live without.
My 10 Nursery Must-Haves
Sidenote: These products can get expensive. We started buying products as soon as we knew we were expecting to space out the purchases (and to save up). Also, there are lots of cost-saving products that get the same job done as the products below.
- Nursing Chair: Not everything in the nursery needs to be for your baby. I wanted a nursing chair that was semi-comfortable. I knew I wanted to rest my feet on something but I didn’t want it so comfy that I would fall asleep. This chair gets the job done, see here. Having a nursing chair in the nursery is huge, it prevents you from having to lug your baby around to another room to nurse (multiple times a night). Price: $100+
- Owlet: The owlet is a socklike sensor that you put on your baby’s foot to monitor oxygen levels and heart rate. This was one of two products that my husband said we MUST HAVE, which is very unlike my husband. Me, on the other hand, wanted anything and everything :). This product is all about peace of mind. It will alert you if baby’s level falls in the danger zone. See product here. Price: $299 brand new or $199 refurbished
- Nest Cam: This is the second product that my husband said we MUST HAVE! I did tons of research on baby monitors and kept seeing this bad boy at the top of the list. The funny thing is it was never created to be a baby monitor, but it does it very well. We love this because you can hear and see your baby at all times. It connects to the wifi so if you have a babysitter over and you are out, you can check in on your baby wherever you are. Lots of mamas don’t like the idea of wifi because people can hack into it to spy on your baby. Though I really hope that doesn’t happen, I was willing to take the chance to have the ability to check in on my baby from anywhere. I also love this camera because it connects to other Nest products (see next item) and it can be used for internal security once our babies are older. More bang for our buck. See product here. Price: $199
- Nest Sensor: The Nest Sensor is another great product from the Nest family. This sensor can only be used if you already have a Nest Learning Thermostat in your house. We actually just bought this product a month or so ago and we wish we had purchased it sooner. My baby’s room tends to get really hot during certain times of the day and sometimes at night. It made me nervous because overheating can be dangerous and sometimes deadly for babies (another reason why we love the Owlet). You can set the sensor to dictate what temperature that particular room can be at certain times of the day. Disclaimer: This could increase your utility bill as it caters all heating/cooling to one room! So, in our case, my baby’s room is hotter during the afternoon, which meant the AC was blasting downstairs to get his upstairs room to cool down. That just meant I bundled up downstairs :). See product here. Price: $39 (but can only be used with certain Nest Thermostats)
- Changing Pad: I know plenty of people who never had a changing pad and they are still living their best lives, but I absolutely love having one. Brand new babies have the nastiest poop (sorry I had to go there) and it gets everywhere! Having a wipeable, designated changing area prevented us from changing on the ground or bed. Our changing pad can be secured onto dressers but we never did. Mainly because our baby slept in our room for the first few months and went from our dresser to the nursery dresser. See product here. Price: $30
- Dresser: You are probably thinking, what a silly must-have :). I’m all about optimizing space and minimizing waste, so I was convinced that we didn’t need a dresser in the nursery. I had purchased a crib that included a changing station/pad so I thought we were covered there and I just bought a small storage unit to hold clothes. But man was I wrong! Babies have SO many clothes! And my little boy grew out of his tiny crib-changing station so quickly. So, we decided to buy a nice dresser that we could also use as a changing station (with the changing pad above). I wanted to buy a dresser that he could use for many years, so we went with this IKEA one (which is actually the dresser in our master bedroom as well). We made sure to secure them to the wall as soon as we set them up. See product here. Price: $199 (which is surprisingly low for a good dresser)
- Healthcare Kit: Probably sounds like another no-brainer here but as a brand new mom I didn’t realize all of the little things I would need. Buying a good health kit, set me up with a good bath scrubber, thermometer, nail clipper, and lots of other goodies. I needed to use the nail clippers right away because my boy’s nails were long and sharp. When he was younger he would sneak his hands out of his swaddle and scratch his forehead with his sharp nails. I was grateful to have some baby-friendly clippers to trim his nails. And I must say cutting a baby’s nails is one of the scariest things ever. See product here. Price: Around $20
- Diaper Subscription: My worst fear is that I will wake up for a late night nursing/diaper change and realize that I’m out of diapers or wipes. I was lucky enough to receive a year-long diaper subscription as a gift. Don’t worry I will pay it forward down the road. But it has been a lifesaver. As a new mama, it’s a burden taking your brand new baby out just to buy diapers. Having your diapers delivered right to your door is so convenient. You can even choose to get two sizes if you think your little one will be moving up a diaper size. See product here. See options here. Price: $20 and Up
- Hatch Sound Machine: From day 1 back home, I wanted to get my baby into a good sleep routine. Every naptime and bedtime, my baby was swaddled and then the Hatch Baby Rest was turned on. The Hatch is awesome because it’s a nightlight and sound machine. You can pick your favorite colors and sounds. My baby is old enough that when I bring him into the room he reaches out to turn on the Hatch. It’s a simple touch to start so his little, chubby, baby hand can turn it on :). It can also be turned on and off from your phone. This is nice if you want to turn it on before going into the room, or if you forget you can turn it on without going back into the room. See product here. Price: $59.99
- Fan: Another random must-have! We have a ceiling fan in the nursery that is always on when our baby is napping or sleeping at night. At first, I thought a ceiling fan would be bad for a newborn but recent articles have said the opposite. Having a fan (any type of fan) is great for white noise, as well as making sure the air circulates in the room (preventing overheating). See option here. Price: $49.99 and up
Nesting and Resting
I kept hearing people talking about nesting when I first got pregnant. I didn’t understand it until I was getting close to my due date. It’s like this motherly instinct to get your baby’s “nest” ready. You get this burst of energy and you find yourself cleaning and organizing everything for this little babe.
My biggest advice for mamas– start nesting early, I mean as early as possible! Before I knew it, my baby was in my arms and I hadn’t even opened half of my gadgets. At this point, my stress level was sky high with my sleep-deprived, healing body, the last thing I wanted to do was set up my baby monitor.
So, get your nursery set up months before your due date. Open all of your nursery must-haves and get them up and running so you are ready when baby makes their debut :).
These are my top 10 nursery must-haves, but what are yours? Leave us a note in the comments!
And P.S. An 11th Nursery Must-Have is our Pure Sleep and Breathe Chest Rub: